This page contains links to proven best practices, guidelines and programs, modifiable charts, handouts, power points for workshop, program materials, initiatives and other resources for your use. If you have a best practice that works really well for you please share it with your California community college colleagues by sending it to the Webmaster to post on this page.
Featured Links of the Month:
- UCOP Transfer Partnership Program (#10 under Miscellaneous Best Practice Initiatives)
- Transfer Day/College Nights Events for FA 2014 (#6 under Guidelines for CCC Transfer Directors)
- Community College Transfer: Recommended Guidelines (#3 under Guidelines for CCC Transfer Center Directors)
|Click on a menu title (below) to view the shared Best Practices & Initiatives on this page|
Miscellaneous Charts, SEPs, PPTs & Handouts
This section is designed to save you time and energy! Feel free to modify these charts, handouts and other materials for use on your campus.
- Santa Monica College contributed a customizable AP chart for use on your campus. This AP chart has been formatted so you can save it to your own PC as a .doc and modify it with your campus information.
- Butte Collegecontributed the following:
- A unique in-class presentation that affords continued classroom instruction while exposing Transfer Center Programs & Services to the students called: Don't Cancel That Class!
- A unique "open drop-in" service, called " Transfer Talk - The Doctor is In " that provides the transfer counselor the opportunity to make contact with students and answer the student's questions about transfer while advertising the college's transfer programs, services, and events.
- Customizable Student Education Plans for transfer students that have been formatted so you can modify them with your school information.
- Generic CSU 4-semester SEP (.doc)
- Generic IGETC 4-semester SEP (.doc)
- Veteran-specific Student Education Plan (AA/AS) (.doc)
- Veteran-specific Student Education Plan (IGETC) (.doc)
- Veteran-specific Student Education Plan (CSU) (.doc)
- Mira Costa contributed a great Summary of Engineering Options (.doc) that you can modify with specific screening criteria for students in your area, thus we have posted a modifiable WORD document.
- Santiago Canyon College contributed the following Power Points and handouts to share:
- Pre-Law Seminar - Pre-Med Health Professions Seminar
- Transfer 101 Workshop - UCLA Transfer Admissions Presentation (10-2013)
- CSU or UC Cross Enrollment (.pdf)
- University Transcript Mailing Addresses (.pdf)
- Santa Rosa Junior College contributed the following PPTs and handouts to share:
- Transfer Transition (.pdf)
- Transfer Advocate Program (.pdf)
- After Transfer Support (.pdf)
Common Application Process
The following Common Application Best Practice .ppts, .pdfs and videos are from the Common Application Website. Counselor Information:
- 2013-14 Essay Prompts - print date: 08-01-13. (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- First Look at the Common Application. (PPT) (2013-14)
- Counselor Guide to the Application - Print date: 2013-14) (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Recommendation Basics - FA '14 Slide Show (CommonApp)
- Sample ED Agreement - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Sample School Report - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Sample Midyear Report - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Sample Final Report - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Sample Fee Waiver - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Sample Teacher Evaluation - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Sample Registrar Report - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Registrar Guide for Transcript Submissions - FA '14 (CommonApp) (.pdf)
- Submitting Your Common Application - Slide Show (CommonApp) (2013-14)
- The Common Application Fees - Slide Show (CommonApp) (2013-14)
- Managing Your Common Application - Slide Show (CommonApp) (2013-14)
The following miscellaneous Power Point workshops and handouts were contributed by various CCs to share:
- Irvine Valley College: - The Common Application (.ppt)
- Santiago Canyon College:
- Application Essay Workshop
- UC and CA Essay Prompts - Common Application Workshop
- "I've Submitted My Application...Now What?" Transfer Center Presentation Workshop
- "I've Submitted My Application...Now What?" FASFA Presentation Workshop
Guidelines For CCC Transfer Center Directors
- Action Guide-Exploring Ways to Strengthen Student Support and Student Success at Your College. Print date: FA '13.
- Basic Skills Completion: The Key to Student Success in California Community Colleges By The California Community College Basic Skills Initiative . Effective Practices for Faculty, Staff and Administrators. This report contains many examples of promising practices for integrating student services and instruction and supporting student success on through an institution-wide focus.Print date: 09/10/13. [PDF]
- California Community College Transfer: Recommended Guidelines (Updated print date: Spring 2014). (Extranet.cccco.edu)
- New CCC Transfer Center Director Training and Guidelines. (Extranet.cccco.edu)
- SB 1440 - Student Transfer Achievement Reform (STAR). Information for counselors and other transfer personnel. '13/14 (F'13 CSU Conference) .ppt
- Transfer Day & College Night Fairs Hosted at California Community Colleges
- Transfer Day/College Night (TD/CN) is hosted by the California Education Roundtable Intersegmental Coordinating Committee (CERTICC). Comprised of campus and Systemwide representatives from California high schools, California Community College Transfer Centers, California State Universities, the Universities of California, and independent colleges and universities, Transfer Day/College Night provides your students an opportunity to find out what the universities in attendance can offer. Here are some handy links to assist you in participating and contact cohorts of the event:
- Transfer Day/College Nights Guidelines Twelfth Edition. Print date: SU 2013. (certicc.org)
- Transfer Day/College Nights Event Calendar for Nor. Cal. TD/CN FA 2014. Updated: 2014-04-29. (.xls)
- Transfer Day/College Nights Event Calendar for So. Cal. TD/CN FA 2014.Updated: 2014-04-29. (.pdf)
- Northern California Host Contacts (FA '14) (.xls) - Southern California Host Contacts (FA '14) (.xls)
Miscellaneous Best Practice Initiatives
- YouTube videos loaded with strategies for supporting your students!
- The Transfer Path: From High School to Community College to UC (2011)
- UC Personal Statement Workshop (2013)
- UC Admission Application for Transfer Students (2014-15)
- CSU Admissions Process (2014-15)
- The NEW Common Application 2013: A Prep Matters Webinar Presentation (2013)
- How to Answer The Supplemental Questions To The Common Application (2013-14)
- A Walk-through of the Medical School Application Process (2013)
- Alternative Methods for Awarding Of College Credit: Credit By Examination for Articulated High School Courses is a best practices for articulation and credit by exam recently approved by The Academic Senate and now available for download. Adopted Spring 2013. (ascc)
- California Community College Student Success Task Force. The Student Success Task Force has examined best practices and effective models within higher education throughout the nation to improve educational achievements here in California. 2012-13 (CCCCO)
- Student Success Task Force Recommendations: Implementing Work Groups. Print date: 06/22/12. (CCCCO)
- Student Success Task Force Implementation Updates. Print date: 09/13/12. [PPT] (CCCCO)
- Student Success & Support Program Implementation Summit - LIVE Video (Sept. 2013)
- Online Resources Center for CCC Statewide Leadership Collaborative for Industrial & Technical Education (ITE). This website and all activities conducted by the Perkins 1B funded Statewide Leadership Collaborative for Industrial and Technical Education Grant (11-0162) are funded in part by the Chancellor's Office, California Community Colleges. Website. (cccIndustrialTech)
- CCC-UC Data Sharing Program - Best Practices and Suggested Strategies. Website. (UCOP)
- National Office of Community College Initiatives. The College Board established the National Office of Community College Initiatives to support the Board's mission to connect students to college success. The National Office is involved in a variety of on-going projects and initiatives to advance and strengthen these institutions throughout the United States. Website. (CollegeBoard)
- Creating First Chances for Second-chance Students.
- Enhancing Student Transfer from Community Colleges to Four-Year Institutions – The Perspective of Leaders from Baccalaureate-Granting Institutions.
- Helping Counselors Counsel - The Community College Source Book: Strategies for Advising Transfer Students from Experienced Community College Counselors.
- Measuring Community College Student Success.
- College Counseling Support.
- Financial Aid Services for Higher Education.
- College Advising and Placement Tools.
- Recruitment and Admissions Services.
- Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE)
- Alphabetical Listing of all current WICHE Initiatives
- California & WICHE
- State-specific WICHE Initiatives
- National Office for School Counselor Advocacy Outreach Initiatives. (Collegeboard)
- UC Education Partnerships - (TPPs) - Transfer preparation programs provide services such as regular and sustained advising, peer mentoring and early identification models to improve student outcomes.
Scholarship Handouts and Workshop Materials
We want to thank the following campuses that gave us permission to share the following materials with CC counseling colleagues across California. If you have a Best Practice that you would like to share with your CCC colleagues please send them as an attachment to the Webmaster to post to this page.
- Imperial Valley College:
- 10 Tips for Winning Scholarships - A great student handout!
- Generalized, Campus Scholarship Information - Handout.
- Santiago Canyon College: How to Get an A+ Letter of Recommendation for Scholarships - Another great student handout.
- Irvine Valley College: How to pay for College- It's Not Just College That's Expensive!
- College of the Desert:
- Finding Money For College.
- The Search for Scholarships: The Andrews System : A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Money for College.
- Ways to Save Money In College - a great presentation choked full of tips to assist college students in saving money.
TAG Workshop Power Point Presentations
The following campuses contributed PowerPoint presentations that can be modified with your campus logo and course information. If you have difficulty opening or modifying a Power Point, use the Technical Support Button (on the TCW homepage) for assistance
- Solano College: TAA/TAG Form.
- Cañada College: Transfer Agreement/Transfer Admission Chart.
- Saddleback College: TAG PowerPoint.
- Shasta College: TAG PowerPoint.
- Irvine Valley College: TAG PowerPoint.
- Butte College: We created this TAG PowerPoint for two reasons; 1) for our counselor's to use during TAG workshops and 2) as an example of how you can merge various .ppt's together (we merged information from both the Shasta and Saddleback PowerPoints).
- Santiago Canyon College offers a variety of workshop presentations to download. Check it out!