Veteran's Affairs Links
Page last updated: 2014-04-09
Here you will find updated links to assist you in counseling student veterans.
Choose a header from the menu below to be directed to links pertaining to that header topic.
Featured Link(s) of The Month:
Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). (#6 under Special Programs)
|Best Practices||Post 9/11 GI Bills (Chapter 33 & Other Programs)|
|Guidelines/Tools & Resources||Special Programs|
- An Ethical Obligation: Promising Practices For Student Veterans in College Writing Classrooms. (Print date: 2011). (CCC Research Grant).
- Best of The Web Resources for Veterans. (BOTW)
- Veteran's Best Practices Resource Center (Extranet.CCCCO)
- Serving Those Who Serve. Making Your Institution Veteran-Friendly. (acenet.edu)
- Veteran-specific Student Educational Plan forms (below) from the Butte College Veteran's Office. (Examples and documents ready for your use!)
- Veteran-specific Student Education Plan (AA/AS). [.DOC] This Vets SEP for AA/AS is formatted so you can save it to your own PC and modify it with your school information for your own use. Here is a sample that Butte's counselors use. [.PDF] (Butte)
- Veteran-specific Student Education Plan (IGETC). [.DOC] This Vets SEP for IGETC is formatted so you can save it to your own PC and modify it with your school
information - for your own use. Here is a sample that Butte's counselors use. [.PDF] (Butte)
- Veteran-specific Student Education Plan (CSU). [.DOC] This Vets SEP for CSU is formatted so you can save it to your own PC and modify it with your school information. for your own use. Here is a sample that Butte's counselors use. [.PDF] (Butte)
- California Veteran's Education Partnership (UniversityofCalifornia)
For Military Transcripts For:
- Coast Guard
CLICK HERE for Air Force Transcripts
- CalVet - Governors' Interagency Council on Veteran's (CalVetCorps.ca.gov)
- CalVet FAQs (CalVet.ca.gov)
- CCC Veteran's Services Regional Representatives Directory (Extranet.CCCCO)
- Guidelines for Evaluating Courses for Guaranteed Transfer for Core Member Institutions (soc.aascu)
- Maximum In-State Tuition & Fees For the Post-9/11 GI Bill - by State. This link includes historical data. (2010/11)
- National Coalition For Homeless Veteran's - The National Coalition for Homeless Veterans (NCHV) is the resource and technical assistance center for a national network of community-based service providers and local, state and federal agencies that provide emergency and supportive housing, food, health services, job training and placement assistance, legal aid and case management support for hundreds of thousands of homeless veterans each year. (nchv)
- Pay Rates for Each Chapter. (tells counselors what ¼, ½, ¾ time pays relative to “full time”) (gibill.va.gov)
- Associate and Bachelor degree programs to service members and their families. (2012)
- SOCAD — Associate and bachelor’s degree programs for Army personnel and their families.
- SOCNAV — Associate and bachelor’s degree programs for Navy personnel and their families.
- SOCMAR — Associate and bachelor’s degree programs for Marine Corps personnel and their families.
- SOCCOAST — Associate and bachelor’s degree programs for Coast Guard personnel and their families. Student Handouts, Brochures, and Regulations
- Student Veteran's of America (StudentVeterans)
- SVA Chapter Map (StudentVeterans)
- Tips for Academic Counselors
- Transcripts & Other Documents Accepted for Military Members (Area E for GE) - By Campus. (Pg. 14-'14/15 CalState: CASPER) PDF.
- Transcripts and other Documents Accepted for Military Member (Elective Units) - By Campus. (Pg. 13-'14/15 CalState: CASPER) PDF.
- Troops to College Program (CalState) 2012/13
- Troops to College Brochure (CalState)
- Veteran's Resource Center Pilot and Auxiliary Sites-these are California Community College campuses who are participating in the Veterans Resource Center provide a dedicated space and resources in support of students who are veterans of the armed services. The pilot sites have been supplied with computers, assistive computer technology, and training and support, the auxiliary sites received software licenses for assistive computer technology, support and training. (htctu)
- Video Testimonials from Veterans - from all eras and branches. (MakeTheConnection)
- Mental Health Conditions - Information on how to recognize and seek treatment. (MakeTheConnection)
- Treatment and Support Resources - VA approved. (MakeTheConnection)
The Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of education benefit programs. Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program, including the:
- Adjusting to College-videos of veteran's views - inspiration, insight and advise for counselors and career centers (halfofUs)
- Educational Assistance Test Program (Section 901) (gbill)
- Federal Benefits Booklet for Veterans Dependents and Survivors - (VA.gov) 2012 Edition [.PDF]
- Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) (Chapter 30)
- Survivors’ and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)-(Chapter 35) (gibill.va.gov)
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) (gibill.va.gov)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill Pamphlet (Chapter 33) (gibill.va.gov)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Payment Rates for 2012-13-(gibill.va.gov)
- Vocational Rehab (Chapter 31)-for Veterans with service-connected disabilities.
- Army Educational Programs-for students, soldiers, teachers and parents. (armyedspace)
- Army Health Care Services-Health Care Programs, Scholarships, Locations, Benefits Information and more! (goarmy.com)
- California Veterans Education Opportunities Partnership (UCs)- in a effort to provide educational opportunities for the men and women who serve in our Armed Forces, the UC system has partnered with Governor Schwarzenegger, the CSU system and CCC system to implement the California Veterans Education Opportunity Partnership, bringing together the higher education, veterans and military communities to make the transition from military service to college a seamless one-(universityofcalifornia).
- National Call to Service Program-(gibill.va.gov)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)-(gibill.va.gov)
- Troops to College (CSUs)-individuals who have served or are currently serving in the US Armed Forces can avail themselves of educational opportunities to develop skills which will benefit themselves and the communities in which they live. (CalState).
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program-(VEAP)
- Homeless Veterans (va.gov)
- Returning Service Members (oefoif)
- Military Service Benefits (vba.va.gov)
- Minority Veterans (va.gov)
- Surviving Spouses and Dependents (va.gov)
- Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)
- VRAP FAQs
- Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (vba.va.gov)
- Women Veterans (va.gov)
Data verified by CCCCO Veteran's Affairs Representative on 09-19-13